Saturday, April 16, 2011

16thApril2011 How've the ears been?

One day I was seeing a woman in her late 80s.  She was in remarkably good shape and very personable so it was a lot of fun just talking to her.  Unfortunately, her husband was chronically ill and living in a nursing home.  She went to see him every day.


As I started to examine her, I noticed a bracelet she was wearing.  I commented on it and she told me it was a present from her children on the occasion of her 50th wedding anniversary.  I congratulated her and asked her how long she'd been married now.  She replied, "Sixty-three years."  


It's my practice to ask symptom-related questions as I examine someone and shortly after her answer I was ready to examine her ears.  When I asked her, "How've the ears been?" she smiled wistfully & replied, "Oh, they've been wonderful years."

No comments:

Post a Comment