Sunday, March 1, 2015

Striving for Nobility

I saw a movie last weekend called Kingsman: The Secret Service.  It had its moments, which means wait for the rental.  One of the main characters spoke a memorable line, quoting Ernest Hemingway.  Trying to motivate and encourage his young apprentice, the sophisticated and highly accomplished spy said, "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."  The novice spy was motivated and encouraged, and so was I.  This quote has stewardship, one of my favorite principles, written all over it.

However, I think true nobility is displayed in the effort one expends in the quest to be superior to one's former self.  At a certain point physical prowess declines for everyone, but the determination and perseverance required to be fit are noble character traits that even an old guy like me can aspire to.

As with athletic endeavors, academic performance is improved only through the same determination and perseverance, and that's admirable and noble.  And since there's always more I could learn, this can be a lifetime pursuit.  I just wish I could remember everything I've ever learned.

The same noble determination and perseverance can help me grow as a Christian.  I believe sanctification is a work of God's grace, but by his grace he somehow uses Bible study, prayer, worship with brothers and sisters, work and service, life circumstances, and many other things as means by which I can be "enabled more and more to die unto sin, and live unto righteousness."  Funny thing about Christian growth, though.  I have found out that as I have grown as a Christian, the gulf between my efforts and God's standards seems to grow ever wider.  "Wretched man that I am!  Who will deliver me from this body of death?  Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!"



No comments:

Post a Comment