Sunday, December 11, 2011

At Bats and Possessions

I can't multitask.  Can anyone?  I think women can.  Not me.  In fact, I'm trying to stop trying.  It turns out that a lot of the time when I'm tempted to multitask, it comes down to trying to carry on some interpersonal communication with a real person vs. carry on some task with a thing (especially the computer).  Usually the person gets the short end of the stick.  So now, if there's some action that needs my attention while I'm interacting with another person, I apologize for interrupting the interaction, admit that I can't multitask, take care of the action, and then direct my attention once again to the person.  I've found that there's a peace that comes with the confession that I can't multitask.  Maybe it's the peace that comes with speaking the truth.  

Earlier this year, I read a book by former UNC basketball coach Dean Smith, and one of things he was always trying to get his players to do was to focus on "this possession."  "Win this possession."  A basketball player trying to win a particular possession can't be multitasking.  Neither can a guy trying to hit a baseball.  I wonder if that's why I was never very good at hitting a baseball.  Some lessons are learned too late.

1 comment:

  1. I'm now going to quote Dean Smith via you to David. "Win this possession." Like it!

    ReplyDelete